Friday, March 25, 2011

Delight Yourself in the Lord

One of my favorite verses is Psalm 37:4. Ashley Peterson wrote it to me in a card sometime last year, and since then I have really cherished that verse.

Reading Sun Stand Still has made me think more and more on the dreams within my heart. There are many things I feel like I could take joy in doing for the rest of my life. I know how I would like to serve the Lord. But some days I wonder to myself, what if the Lord doesn't want that for me? What if God put this love in my heart for a purpose I have already served? I've often said "I feel like God has put this love and passion in my heart for a reason." And I believe He has for many things. But some of those things may only be temporary. They are just stepping stones to guide my path.

But like I said, sometimes I really begin to wonder if what I think I'm called to do, isn't it at all. There are some things I want very much to do in my lifetime, and it scares me that it may not be in the Lord's plan for my life. And then He reminds me of Psalm 37:4, "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. It is a very encouraging verse! As I follow the Lord, and stay true to Him, He will give me the desires of my heart. I love when you stop and think about that verse and realize what it means. It's not that if you do the right things and push all the right buttons, God will give you what you want. Becaue the key part of the verse is the beginning. If you delight yourself in the Lord. If you follow His ways. If you cherish His word. If you take joy in His presence. He will give you the desires of your heart. Why will He do this? Because the more time you spend with the Lord, the more your heart becomes like His. And when your heart is like His heart, your desires become His desires. Isn't that incredible?

Matthew Henry put it: “He has not promised to gratify all the appetites of the body and the humours of the fancy, but to grant all the desires of the heart, all the cravings of the renewed sanctified soul. What is the desire of the heart of a good man? It is this, to know, and love, and live to God, to please him and to be pleased in him.” I love it. I believe it to be so true.

I just wanted to share that with you all. I find Psalm 37:4 to be very encouraging, and I always love when the Lord brings me back to it :) And sorry my posts are all about future dreams and such, that's just the place I'm at right now in my life, haha. Everyone wants to know what I'm doing in the future, so I tend to think on it a lot.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment